Instead of eating 2-3 large meals per day, eat 4-6 small meals daily. To burn more calories, your metabolism will be regulated and boosted by frequent eating. Whole foods high in fiber and low sugar should be consumed, such as fruits & veggies (oranges, strawberries, and blueberries), nuts (almonds and cashews & walnuts), and nuts. Instead of refined processed carbs that come in a box or bag, eat low-glycemic foods like vegetables, whole-wheat products, and oatmeal.
- Recommendation is to consume 25-35 grams of fiber daily. We could all use more fiber, as the average diet has only 14 grams. Fiber can satisfy hunger pangs and control insulin and blood sugar levels, which can promote fat storage when elevated.
- At each meal, consume some lean protein. Protein is important to satisfy your hunger pangs and provides the building blocks necessary to maintain lean body mass and lose body fat.
- Eat enough healthy fats such as olive oil and walnuts, nuts, Omega-3 fortified eggs, and other Omega-3 products. Healthy fats are great antioxidants and help with brain function as well as many other essential processes that occur in the body every day. Essential Fatty acids can also be used to prevent certain diseases.
- To meet your micronutrient requirements, you should eat 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Vegetables are also high in fiber, which helps to curb hunger and control appetite.
- Drink water or green tea instead of calorie-laden drinks like soft drinks. Green Tea is a great choice for health. You should drink 1 ml of non-caffeinated water for every calorie you consume. This is equivalent to 8-12 glasses of Green Tea or Water per day.
- Your daily fat intake should be balanced. 1/3 should be saturated fats, 1/3 monounsaturated fats and 1/3 polyunsaturated.
- A plan is essential if you want to build habits. You can build habits by following a plan. Map out your meals each day and follow them. You will soon develop habits that you will not even notice if you stick to your plan for at least two weeks. How do you think bad habits form? Repeating the same thing over and over.
- On a daily basis, I recommend including “Superfoods” in your meal plan. These include, but are not limited to, lean meats, salmon, low-fat plain yogurt, tomatoes and mixed berries, whole or mixed nuts, olive oils, flax seeds (or flax meal), green tea, and various other beans. These are just a few of the “Superfoods”, which you should include in your daily meal plans.
- Keep your daily total fat intake below 30%. You can achieve this by limiting the intake of butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, and other fats. These items don’t have to be eliminated completely, but you should not eat them every day.
- EXERCISE!! It is possible to lose weight by following a diet plan alone, but it is much more difficult than if you exercise and eat right. I’m not talking about running 30 minutes per day. Although you can lose weight by doing this, it is not the best use of your time or the best way to burn calories. Strength training, or any type of interval training that combines strength training and cardiovascular exercise, is the best way to lose fat. A well-designed program will burn more calories in 20 minutes than a treadmill. The EPOC effect is the X factor. You will burn more calories per hour after strength training. This X factor is not produced by static exercise on a treadmill.
- Keep track of what you eat. You’ll be amazed at how much you eat and not realize it until you write it down and reflect on the day. A food log is essential to your success. It will help you evaluate and analyze what needs to be changed. If you aren’t seeing the changes you want, the answer is usually in your food or exercise journal.
- Follow the 90% rule. You can lose weight if you follow your plan 90% of time. You are less likely to succeed with weight loss if you break the rules more often than 90%. Your chances of failure increase. Let go of the all-or-nothing mentality and take it one day at a given time. Before you go to bed, reflect on the day and set goals for next day to eliminate any mistakes.